On Friday, the CBC’s Toronto affiliate reported that an Alberta man was sentenced to eight years in prison after he was found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of a woman in 2013.
The story was told through a series of emails and text messages.CBC reporter Ryan O’Brien, who first broke the story, wrote an article detailing the man’s case, and CBC News has obtained some of the emails and texts.
O’Brien wrote that he sent about 10 emails to Crown prosecutor Michael Ladd after receiving the story.
The judge, who has since retired, described the texts and emails in a lengthy sentencing memorandum that O’Broin obtained.
The document also notes the man was “convicted of first degree murder in this case, for the intentional killing of a person by a firearm in circumstances that are extremely suspicious and, therefore, warrant the highest penalty.”
The CBC’s report, which was written in December, detailed the man as a single man living with his family in Calgary.
He had been living in an apartment complex in the city and had moved in with his parents.
He was also known to frequent the bars and nightclubs in the area.
In a sentencing memorandum, the judge wrote that while the man had admitted to police that he killed the woman, he did not believe the crime was motivated by hatred or a vendetta.
The man had been charged with first- and second-degree murders in connection with the death.
He pleaded guilty to first-and second-accused murder.
He also pleaded guilty in the manslaughter trial, which is ongoing.
Ladd said in the sentencing memorandum he had “great confidence” in the decision.
The sentencing memorandum said the man, who cannot be named because he was a Crown witness, had been arrested several times in recent years for driving under the influence, driving while impaired and driving with a suspended license.
He has a history of mental illness, the memorandum said.
“While the victim had been suffering a life-threatening medical condition that had prevented her from fully participating in her family’s life for years, the defendant was able to achieve a level of stability and well-being, which the victim did not experience with the defendant’s other prior conduct,” the memorandum stated.
Ladsen also said he was “profoundly sorry” to the victim’s family and friends.
The woman, who had been dating the man for three years, had a history on social media of “hate crimes,” according to court documents.
The CBC reported that she had been a vocal supporter of an anti-Muslim campaign in the U.S.
A woman who works at a local bar was among the people who called out the alleged offender.
“I just want to apologize to the woman and her family, and I hope that they know that this is not the type of person that should be in the bar,” said bar owner Andrew Sauer.
“We have been there for a long time, and we just hope that he’s going to be held accountable for what he’s done.”